harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Multi-lingual publishing channels - blog, harmony web site etc.
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:51:32 GMT
Nadya Morozova wrote:
>  returning to localizing the website:
> i updated the starting page of Russian Wiki, please take a look [1]. I'll
> wait for a week or so for Russian-speaking people to provide feedback/fix my
> unsmooth technical Russian, and then create a copy on the website.
>
> as i understand, we can just add more files to the website in the usual xml
> > xhtml transformation mode. shall i place the html.ru files in the same
> directory as the source files or create a special ru/ folder?

The way I have done it before is, for each page, create a .var file in
the same directory as a type-map handler, then multiple versions of each
page with the language identifier as an additional suffix created from
different xml files; e.g. index.var, index.html, index.ru.html,
index.cn.html

The httpd docs are quite good as they have the option to switch language
based on content negotiation or user preference (see 'Available
languages' on [1]).  I'm guessing there is some mod_rewrite foo going on
there.

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/

Regards,
Tim