harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Harmony for Apache internal use?
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:55:19 GMT
Graham Leggett wrote:
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
>>> Are there other areas where ASF currently
>>> uses Sun's or another Java and we could use Harmony instead?
>>
>> JIRA and Confluence are the big ones now.  Though Gump and Continuum
>> use it for builds - but not production services.  So, builds aren't as
>> exciting.  =)  -- justin
>
> Builds expose Harmony not only to compiling a large body of existing
> stable code, but also allows the opportunity for Harmony to run the test
> suites on that body of code as well.
>
> As a potential end user of Harmony, I would be more excited by the news
> "compiles X hundred projects and executes all of those project test
> suites error free" than "runs a busy copy of JIRA".

Me too!  Please download a copy of Harmony [1] and try running a Java
application on it.  If it works, let us know (a bit of developer
stroking always helps <g>) but more importantly if it doesn't work also
let us know.  The people who frequent this list are incredibly motivated
to fix problems in real applications -- all you need to inspire them is
a good bug report.

> Timing data on how long Harmony takes to compile, and how long Harmony
> takes to run test suites compared to the other major JDKs would also be
> very interesting stats to know.

Yep.

[1] http://harmony.apache.org/download.cgi

Regards,