harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] accepting bug reports/patches in other languages?
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:48:36 GMT
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> Now I think we should create instructions on wiki on languages that we speak
> describing how to file a JIRA. And put a statement like: "now we
> accept defect reports and pathes on other langages" to the news
> section on the main page
> and to the blogs. And put the same statement on all languages
> we understand with a link to instructions on that languages

I realize that we are trying to be as inclusive as possible, and that is
an honorable goal.  However, we must remember that the ASF requires
oversight of the official business of the project by everyone, including
the PMC, ASF Members, and ASF Board.

Based on background and history, the ASF conducts its business in
English, and we need to ensure that any official project business is
accessible to *all* those who have responsibility for its oversight.

So I have no problem with accepting defects and patches in other
languages provided we have a 'trusted party' who will promptly translate
them into English, so that everyone can see what is happening and
participate.  For now I think that means we are restricted to accepting
defects in English, Russian, and Chinese.  AFAIK we don't have enough
body of knowledge in, say, Urdu or French.

Obviously we can choose to do our own translations of the website to
make it accessible by non-English speakers, and resources outside the
project, like blogs, are encouraged to use whatever medium they like.

Regards,
Tim