harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [general]How to deal with Java 6 enhancement in kernel classes?
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:31:09 GMT
Leo Li wrote:
> Hi, all
>      I find that there exists some enhancements in Java 6 about kernel
> classes, for example, the System.console(). Now we have a branch for
> java 6 in classlib, but System class is part of kernel classes and
> provided by VM part.
>      Although the main function is implemented in classlib part, we
> still have to add a new method in System class only for Java 6. I
> myself do not like branch :)  while it seems inevitable to branch the
> kernel classes.

The question is whether it is possible to do branch only for java code
of the kernel classes or it is necessary to branch VM internals as well.
If it is java only, then I think branching
drlvm/vm/vmcore/src/kernel_classes/javasrc is ok.

For example for System.console I would imagine that it is possible
implement it in Java only as long as j.io.Console class is fully
implemented  in classlib.

--
Gregory