harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] jre bundle size
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:01:55 GMT
Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> Even in drlvm we have a lot of dll's, and I am not sure that this is a
> bad thing. It allows the components to be more modular and actually
> can reduce memory footprint, we just have to be more judicious about
> what we load at startup. We could also drop things like gc_cc.dll etc.
> if we really need to.

Certainly helps when there is sharing rather than copying of code/data.
 And if the DLLs are optional functionality then it allows users to
customize the runtime that much easier.  For example, the IBM VME can
tolerate the removal of the JIT DLL such that (obviously) you only get
the interpreter functionality, same for some diagnostics, etc.  For
people who want to reduce the disk/in memory footprint they can tailor
it to suit.

> Not sure why distribution size is a big problem, it is the memory
> image size that seems more important.

Ideally we want both of course<g> but I agree that we should plan to
distribute the full set of functionality (the big disk option) and allow
people to remove unwanted function as they see fit.

Regards,
Tim