harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] jre bundle size
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:41:55 GMT
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> looks like you are mixing up jdk and jre.
> jdk is java development kit and is used for application development.
> This bundle should really have sources and debug info.
> I'm talking about jre which is just runtime environment and is used by
> users or customers but not by developers. And users are interested in
> the size of bundle not the debug info...

The JRE has to provide enough information at the point of failure for us
to be able to determine the cause.  I've always thought that the stack
trace is particularly weak in existing implementations of Java, given
that the VM can introspect on the methods, arguments, heap, etc. all you
get is a very basic stack walk to figure out the cause of failure.

Regards,
Tim