harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: M4?
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:51:33 GMT
Rana Dasgupta wrote:
>   Are we continuing our current 3 month release cycles for an M4
> rollout in December? If so, would the code freeze date for this be mid
> December? Are folks available around at this time? It would help to
> decide this upfront.

It's a good time to reflect on the M3 experiences, and see if/how we
want to tweak things.

IMHO the code was frozen a little longer than ideal.  We considered
moving the stable code onto a branch and re-open HEAD, but that was
probably going to be too heavyweight for a milestone build.

I've said before that shorter cycles are my preference.  I agree there
is a fixed overhead for testing, but I believe part of the extended M3
experience was due to the amount of new code that needed testing and
fixing, and the regressions that we needed to catch-up on, etc.

As you say, three months from the M3 would put things right into the
December/January holiday period for many people.  I suggest that we make
M4 a short cycle, e.g. freeze at the end of November and release
mid-December, rather than push things out further into the new year.

This would not only be practical at this time of year, but will also
give us a data point for the short cycle milestone plan, from which we
can make a decision about M5 etc.

>  If we are, it may make sense to list what we want to achieve in this
> cycle and post it on the Wiki, so that come release time, we can make
> decisions based on completeness as well as stability.

Absolutely.  All the items that were deferred from M3, like class
unloading, should be on that list.  How about we agree on a date then
get a wiki page going?  (Our roadmap could do with a visit too ;-/ )

Regards,
Tim