harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [launcher] Uncaught exceptions not printed on J9 VME
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:09:07 GMT
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Leo Li wrote:
>>> FYI, spec is indeed fixed in 1.6 :
>>> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jni/spec/invocation.html#wp16553

>> The clue from the change in spec is enough to show that it is
>> appropriate to call  DetachCurrentThread() in the main thread when
>> shutdowning VM.
>
> Ok if DestroyJavaVM is called after DetachCurrentThread the bug in
> HARMONY-3532 will reappear. It looks like DRLVM shutdown sequence
> should be fixed to execute shutdown hooks when DetachCurrentThread is
> called for the last thread, instead of doing it in DestroyJavaVM.

I take it the patches applied as part of HARMONY-3532 did not fully
resolve the issue?

It seems from the changes in the spec linked by Alexey that we are now
allowed to detach the main thread and, in fact, we are expected to do so
on the main thread if we wish any registered exception handlers to be
called. It seems, as you suggest, that this is now something that should
be fixed in DRLVM to match the RI.

Is it ok for me to go ahead and add the DetachCurrentThread() call to
main.c immediately, or is HARMONY-3532 a big enough issue that you would
like me to wait for it to be resolved first?

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin