harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][icu] Bringing ICU level up to 3.8
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:33:38 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Tony Wu wrote:
>
>> On 10/9/07, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>
>>> J9's dependency on the ICUInterface dll is purely a dllload() call so
>>> that the library is initialised before use by the class library. I
>>> believe this can be easily worked around with the current J9 VME by
>>> simply having a dummy dll in jre/bin for it to load.
>>>

>> would you pls help to build a new J9 VME for this purpose :)
>>

> I think Oliver meant that creating a dummy ICUInterface.dll would allow
> the current VME to work without modification.

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear enough - that's exactly what I meant.

> <snip>
>
>>> Which data in luni have you moved to the ICU versions? There is some
>>> conversation in another branch of this thread [3] about keeping Harmony
>>> versions of charsets - is that relevant to what you're looking at?
>>>

>> Sorry I should have clarified that it's not about charsets. I
>> delegated all the classes which depends on their internal resoure
>> bundle data in luni to ICU's impl, so that we can remove all the
>> classes in removed the package org/apache/harmony/luni/internal/locale
>> later. That will get 2 mega bytes decrease form harmony source code.
>>

> Wow - now that is worth having, let me know if I can help.
>
> Does ICU4J have a means of updating the data (without moving up to a new
> release)?  IIRC ICU4C has an associated tool to update timezone and
> locale info when, for example, the Olson timezone data is updated for
> new daylight savings.  I realize I'm probably asking on the wrong list,
> just wondered if you knew -- I couldn't see it obviously on the website.

According to this page [1] there is a Data Customizer tool (left hand
menu bar) which I imagine will do what you're asking for. Unfortunately
I couldn't check because I get a 503 error when I click the link!
However, I googled the page and took a look at the cached version (I've
been to this page recently so it must just be temporarily down) and
there is an option to generate resources for ICU4J as well as ICU4C. The
tool is also mentioned on the 3.8 Release page [2]. It sounds like this
is the new tool for ICU4J/C so I hope it would have the same
functionality as the previous tool.

Regards,
Oliver

[1] http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/icudemos