harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][icu] Bringing ICU level up to 3.8
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:12:03 GMT
Again, sorry for the late response...

Oliver Deakin wrote:
> Further on upgrading to ICU4J 3.8, when I run the text tests I see
> failures in BidiTest - namely: testCreateLineBidi;
> testCreateLineBidiInvalid; testGetRunLimit. For the Bidi scenarios in
> these tests ICU throws IllegalArgumentExceptions due to invalid
> parameters being passed through, whereas the RI ignores the fact that
> these parameters are illegal (one of the differences has been discussed
> previously in [1]). More precisely, the tests [2] and [3] throw
> exceptions on ICU 3.8 but complete successfully on the RI.
>
> I have been in conversation with the Bidi developer and it seems that
> ICU is keeping in line with the spec while the RI is allowing illegal
> cases. The developer I have been talking to has asked if I feel these
> differences should be fixed in ICU, so I thought I would throw this
> question out to the Harmony community as it will be something that
> affects the behaviour of our Bidi class if we move to ICU4j 3.8. IMHO it
> is not a problem to follow the spec and differ from the RI, as ICU
> currently does, in these invalid cases. Does anyone object to this?

I think we follow usual procedure here, which is to follow the spec if
the spec is being more reasonable than the RI, update our tests, and
list them as non-bug differences in JIRA.

If we find key applications that rely upon the silent-ignore behavior
then we might change our mind and depart from the spec, considering it a
de facto update.

Regards,
Tim