harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][icu] Bringing ICU level up to 3.8
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:02:29 GMT

Tony Wu wrote:
> On 10/9/07, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> J9's dependency on the ICUInterface dll is purely a dllload() call so
>> that the library is initialised before use by the class library. I
>> believe this can be easily worked around with the current J9 VME by
>> simply having a dummy dll in jre/bin for it to load.
>>
> would you pls help to build a new J9 VME for this purpose :)

I think Oliver meant that creating a dummy ICUInterface.dll would allow
the current VME to work without modification.

<snip>
>> Which data in luni have you moved to the ICU versions? There is some
>> conversation in another branch of this thread [3] about keeping Harmony
>> versions of charsets - is that relevant to what you're looking at?
>>
> Sorry I should have clarified that it's not about charsets. I
> delegated all the classes which depends on their internal resoure
> bundle data in luni to ICU's impl, so that we can remove all the
> classes in removed the package org/apache/harmony/luni/internal/locale
> later. That will get 2 mega bytes decrease form harmony source code.

Wow - now that is worth having, let me know if I can help.

Does ICU4J have a means of updating the data (without moving up to a new
release)?  IIRC ICU4C has an associated tool to update timezone and
locale info when, for example, the Olson timezone data is updated for
new daylight savings.  I realize I'm probably asking on the wrong list,
just wondered if you knew -- I couldn't see it obviously on the website.

Regards,
Tim