harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [M3] NPE is thrown while debugging with M3
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:13:49 GMT
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> Andrew Zhang wrote:
>> On 10/10/07, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

>> Here are some more details:
>>
>> NPE stack trace:
>>
>> Thread [main] (Suspended)
>>     NullPointerException.<init>() line: 34
>>     AbstractInterruptibleChannel.<clinit>() line: 57 [local variables
>> unavailable]
>
> Hmm. This isn't exactly what I wanted to see. I just wanted to see the
> NPE stack trace that a program would print out when it throws an
> uncaught NPE in main(). It is quite strange for me to see that you've
> somehow stepped into AbstractInterruptibleChannel. There is no main()
> function on the bottom of the stack either...

Yes, can you give us the full stack Andrew?

The AbstractInterruptibleChannel does try to get the setInterruptAction
method on initialization, but it is guarded by an exception handler.

> I tried debugging on windows with M3 build and current development debug
> build and still I don't get any NPEs. When I press F5 on line with
> println, for the 1st time it steps into VM.intern, for other times it
> steps into PrintStream.println. Sources for these classes aren't found,
> but I can step out back to main() function.

I see the same as you Gregory with Eclipse 3.3 (I20070625-1500) and
Eclipse 3.2.2 (M20070212-1330), Windows XP Pro 2002 SP2, and Harmony M3.

After breaking on the println (line 6) and hitting F5 (Step into) I am
suspended in VM.intern, like this

AndrewTest at localhost:2963
	Thread [main] (Suspended)
		VM.intern(String) line: not available