harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][icu] Bringing ICU level up to 3.8
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:56:33 GMT
Alexei Zakharov wrote:
> Hi,
> AFAIK internal providers implementation came from HARMONY-3593
> ([classlib][nio_char] Contribution of charset encoders/decoders for
> nio_char module). And as far as I understand these providers still
> have some benefits - they're faster than ICU's ones and fix some known
> ICU issues (see HARMONY-3307 for example). Original announcement
> message can be found at
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.harmony.devel/25623
> In this way, I think we should be careful with switching back to
> pure-ICU without detailed investigation.

Thanks for the explanation Alexei. I agree, if there is a clear benefit
(performance or otherwise) to using our own charsets over those provided
by ICU, then we will likely want to keep the setup we currently have or
look at ways to utilise both sets of charsets if this is appropriate
(for example, if ICU charsets give better performance under certain

> Thanks,
> Alexei
> 2007/10/8, Ilya Berezhniuk <ilya.berezhniuk@gmail.com>:
>> Agree, there is no problem - Charset class adds internal charsets
>> first, and when adding charsets from ICU it skips existing ones,
>> comparing by charset canonical name.
>> Probably the reason is easy extensibility - external charset provider
>> can be simply substituted in configuration file, and also several
>> external providers could be specified.
>>> It would be interesting to know the reasons for this. Where they
>>> charsets missing from ICU or were the ICU versions of those charsets
>>> lacking something? I would think that if it was possible for us to feed
>>> those issues back to ICU and have them maintain these resources for us
>>> it would be a good thing. However I don't see any problem with us
>>> keeping the Harmony versions of these resources if need be - I don't
>>> feel strongly either way.

Oliver Deakin
Unless stated otherwise above: