harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][icu] Bringing ICU level up to 3.8
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:29:38 GMT
Ilya Berezhniuk wrote:
>>> BTW, We keep some resource bundle classes in luni, such as Locale and
>>> Currency, which used by luni and text module. These data are aslo
>>> included in icu, I suggest to remove this overlap, just keep one of
>>> them.
>>>
>> Agreed - if we can use the ICU version of these resources then IMHO we
>> should do it.
>>

> There is similar place in java/nio/charset/Charset: when
> availableCharsets method prepares charsets it concatenates ICU
> charsets with a set of internal charsets returned by
> org.apache.harmony.niochar.CharsetProviderImpl class. But I'm not
> quite sure that it should be fixed; probably there were some reasons
> for such approach.

It would be interesting to know the reasons for this. Where they
charsets missing from ICU or were the ICU versions of those charsets
lacking something? I would think that if it was possible for us to feed
those issues back to ICU and have them maintain these resources for us
it would be a good thing. However I don't see any problem with us
keeping the Harmony versions of these resources if need be - I don't
feel strongly either way.

Regards,
Oliver

--