harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general][M3] release r580985 as M3 stable build
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:35:23 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Let's make a decision about the last milestone candidate r580985.
> Shortly, as I can see there is only one issue that blocks its release
> - HARMONY-4873
>
> I'd suggest the next - we wait for objections to postpone the issue
> resolution to M4 for 72 hours (starting from now) to let everyone to
> speak up.

Fix for this bug is not straightforward. It appears that hardware
exception handling on windows and linux became different in regard of
exiting exception/signal context. On Linux signal context is not left
before handling the exception as it is done on windows, and so it is
necessary to rewrite Linux signal handler to fix this bug correctly. I
don't think we can allow to do this in the code freeze stage.

I wrote a small and simple workaround for this bug that kind of
"reverts" offending change for Linux. With this workaround test in the
bug works. I'm testing the workaround patch currently on windows and
linux to see if it doesn't break anything.

> If there are no objections - we make the release. Also I think we
> shouldn't keep all this time the trunk frozen so I'd suggest if there
> are no objections during 24 hours we unfroze the trunk. If  after that
> we get a vote for fixing the issue then a branch is created to make
> the fix and testing.
>
> Objections?
>
> Thanks,
> Stepan Mishura