harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][icu] Bringing ICU level up to 3.8
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:26:19 GMT
Thanks Pavel, I didn't realise icu4c was also being used by DRLVM.

IMHO it would be good for classlib to move to pure icu4j for the reasons
I've stated, plus it would mean that we could entirely remove the native
code from the text module and also the BidiWrapper class, which I see as
a bonus.

There are still a few bugs to be ironed out in icu4j 3.8 before we start
using it (unless we are willing to put up with almost all the Bidi tests
failing, which I don't think would be acceptable) so the transition to
3.8 would not happen for a little while yet anyway. When the time came,
I would think it would make sense to move these libraries to DRLVM as
they would no longer be dependencies of classlib. Perhaps at that point
it would also be worth stepping the icu4c libraries up to 3.8 so
classlib and drlvm are at the same level?

Regards,
Oliver