harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Zakharov" <alexei.zakha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][icu] Bringing ICU level up to 3.8
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:34:34 GMT
Hi Oliver,

I've created a small benchmark too. It takes Leo Tolstoy's "War and
Peace" Book One as input and converts it from Russian CP-1251 to
UTF-16 (10 times) and back (also 10 times). You may find the
benchmark's source code and a build file at [1].  The first difference
from your benchmark is the language & encoding - Russian in my case.
The second difference is the set of tested VMs - I've run the
benchmark on RI, J9 and DLRVM.

You may find results below. BTW the results shows that in this
particular test our internal providers (from
org.apache.harmony.niochar.charset package) are faster than both
versions of ICU. Another interesting fact is terrible ICU performance
on DLRVM. However, on J9 it works rather fast. And this is something
that should be fixed IMO (bad performance on DRLVM I mean). And
finally, yes, ICU4JNI is a little bit faster than ICU4J in this test.
However, "War and Peace" is a rather big book (paper version of the
first part contains about 400 pages, if repeated 10 times = 4000
pages), but difference in numbers is not so big.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~ayza/icu_experiments/

RI
---
Built-in
<sun.nio.cs.MS1251$Decoder> Decoding time: 571 millis
<sun.nio.cs.MS1251$Encoder> Encoding time: 351 millis

ICU4j
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetDecoderMBCS> Decoding time: 430 millis
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetEncoderMBCS> Encoding time: 551 millis

ICU4JNI
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetDecoderMBCS> Decoding time: 401 millis
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetEncoderMBCS> Encoding time: 540 millis

J9
---
Built-in
<org.apache.harmony.niochar.charset.CP_1251$Decoder> Decoding time: 231 millis
<org.apache.harmony.niochar.charset.CP_1251$Encoder> Encoding time: 430 millis

ICU4j
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetDecoderMBCS> Decoding time: 781 millis
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetEncoderMBCS> Encoding time: 620 millis

ICU4JNI
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetDecoderMBCS> Decoding time: 561 millis
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetEncoderMBCS> Encoding time: 371 millis

DRLVM
---
Built-in
<org.apache.harmony.niochar.charset.CP_1251$Decoder> Decoding time: 351 millis
<org.apache.harmony.niochar.charset.CP_1251$Encoder> Encoding time: 540 millis

ICU4j
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetDecoderMBCS> Decoding time: 6660 millis
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetEncoderMBCS> Encoding time: 1071 millis

ICU4JNI
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetDecoderMBCS> Decoding time: 6179 millis
<com.ibm.icu.charset.CharsetMBCS$CharsetEncoderMBCS> Encoding time: 451 millis

With Best Regards,
Alexei