harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Numbering of snapshots/release candidates/etc (was: Re: [general][M3] release candidate status)
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:17:34 GMT

Something to think about after M3...

On 2 October 2007 at 14:46, "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mishura@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, the next milestone candidate (r580985) is under testing.

It might be more consistent if we named candidates/snapshots/etc using
the canonical revision number - i.e. the last change revision number -
rather than some arbitrary revision number after it (and before the next
change).

For instance, I created some debian packages (from a source tar.gz)
using r580997 because that happened to be the revision number at the
time.  But really both r580985 and r580997 are just r579290 since they
contain no new changes since that revision.  But at the moment, it
might not be obvious to someone looking at these artifacts that they
are based on the same code.

Obviously there will be quite a lot of places where this would need
to be fixed - classlib jar manifests, etc. - but I think it would be
the right thing to do.

Regards,
 Mark.