harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Vasily Levchenko" <vasily.v.levche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] HARMONY-4689 - JVMTI Extension: Native Code Access Interface implementation
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:37:07 GMT
On 10/12/07, Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedotov@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
> NCAI adds very useful architectural level for VM internal debugging
> and defensive programming. The best example is a crash handler, but
> other utilities such us self-detection of deadlocks, is also quite
> interesting.

NCAI could be interface to build some kind of viewer, but no real debugger.
1. It couldn't be very useful  just because it's single process debugging
model and if you set breakpoint incorrectly you could lock whole JVM.
2. building debugger from the very beginning you try to invent wheel once
again, you have to develop new mechanisms that already exists in native
debuggers.
3. building infrastructure for Mixed  Mode debugging using native debugger
could be implemented in 1-2 month and it'll be really powerful and useful
solution especially JNI developers.

HP(gdb) and Sun (dbx) already introduced native debugger-centric solutions
for debugging in mixed environments. So NCAI seams to be potential dead code
and I won't be surprised if year or two later you'll be voting for removing
this code.

--
--vvl