harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] jre bundle size
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 05:49:08 GMT
On the 0x372 day of Apache Harmony Spark Shen wrote:
> 2007/10/17, Sean Qiu <sean.xx.qiu@gmail.com>:
> >
> > I suggest we maintain our classlib modules (jar) in a central repository.
> > So we can just get a kernel bundle, and it will download the required
> > jars.
>

> +1 for kernel bundle.
>
> We can add options for the default build task. Using these options to
> determine whether
> to include source code ,debug information etc.
>
> And what about  and a new build target 'build-core' for only those kernel
> bundles necessary
> to start JRE.

Sorry, guys:
-1

First of all, -1 to removing debug information. When you need it, it
is time when you really need it and you are really stuck and blaming
your JRE for various aspects if debug info is not there.

Secondly, to the kernel bundle:

1. how many people want to download just 1/3 of the JRE and then keep
   looking of the damn slow download when running some app? This would
   be an unpleasant surprize because people just did not ask you to go
   web. Looks suspicious, slow and ugly. I do not like unpleasant
   surpizes.

2. it is a lot of work. We will need to identify places that can be
   stripped, tweak classloader to download stuff instead of throwing
   complains. Ideally, we will need to measure user experience: how
   many users did not want to download more, and what we can do to
   increase the number of users? Seems pretty hard. So, unless
   somebody has a good design in their mind, I would object to this
   effort. And if they have, please, publish the design on wiki.

3. how about permissions? anyone who runs a Java app is sometimes
   asked for a root password to update the JRE? not very convenient

4. I believe Linux package managers would anyway stick to the full
   package (otherwize it turns to a nightmare of permissions, security
   issues and such). So, we won't get any lovers of this stuff in the
   Linux community, which is completely not impressing.

Slow, ugly, surprizing unpleasantly, vulnerable to attacks. gosh.

If Sun likes that, just let them have fun.

> 2007/10/17, Xiao-Feng Li <xiaofeng.li@gmail.com>:
> > >
> > > Good idea. Information shows that SUN JRE6 update N introduced a
> > > faster installation and update technology, so that only part of the
> > > JRE needs to be downloaded.
> > >
> > > Harmony has very good modularity design, which our
> > > installation/bundles should be able to leverage.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > xiaofeng

> > > --
> > > http://xiao-feng.blogspot.com