harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sian January" <sianjanu...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Harmony java.util.jar support for pack-200?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2007 13:54:42 GMT
Hi Roland,

On 05/09/07, Alex Blewitt <alex.blewitt@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Roland Getty wrote:
> > > I just checked the latest release of Harmony and also the latest SVN.
> The
> > > support for pack200 seems still very incomplete. The actual "packing"
> seem
> > > not implemented yet at all, the "unpacking" doesn't work yet.
> >
> > That's right.  We figured that unpacking existing archives would be the
> > logical first step, but it is early 'work in progress' at this stage,
> > and the spec takes a while to understand.
> >
> > > I would like to get in touch with the people involved implementing
> this part
> > > of Harmony to find out if I could help.
> >
> > Great.  The work was started by Alex, and Sian has recently picked up
> > the baton and is continuing the work.  I'm sure your help will be very
> > much appreciated.
>
> Yeah, I dropped the ball somewhat in that I had a bunch of other
> things and never really had time to pick this up. I hope Sian will be
> able to make a bit of progress on it, and I'm happy to help out with
> the understanding where I can.

I've really just started on this and at the moment I'm looking at trying to
get unpack to work for some simple cases.  I will be focussing on unpack
first and possibly pack after that.  Any help would be great - is there any
specific area that you would like to work in?

Time-wise it's looking like several months work to get unpack finished, as
Tim suggested.

> >    2. Will Harmony's pack200 support be implemented in 100% Java or are
> > >    native method calls via JNI necessary?
> >
> > The idea is to write it all in Java.
>
> Yeah, there's no real need for any JNI code, and in any case, there's
> not an open binary implementation either.
>
> > >    3. Do you know of an alternative 100% Java implementation of
> pack200?
> >
> > I hear that Sun may have one ;-)  but beyond that I don't know of any.
>
> No, I don't believe there are any. I was approached by Classlib to
> share the implementation when I first started so they didn't have one
> at the time, and in a few e-mails I sent back to the spec leads
> clarifying the spec, I was given the impression that there wasn't many
> competing implementations.
>
> Alex.

Sian

--