harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][sound]Proposal for Harmony Sound real implementation
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2007 09:39:04 GMT
On 9/4/07, Jimmy,Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I miss something last time, it seems if we want Harmony to play
> music, we need a native support for sound in Harmony as well. RI's
> implementation has a 100k-sized dll (sound.dll) under lib directory.
>    However as we know, sound driver on windows and linux are totally
> different,  and harmony port lib do not contain any support for this.
> We need to write several libs for variety of platforms (windows,
> linux, macos,etc).
>
>    And RI currently support .au、.aiff、.Wav、.Midi、.rfm files (do I
> miss something here?) As a result, Harmony'd better implement these
> providers (And IMO, it'll be better if Harmony support more formats of
> media).
>
>    I try to google for more open source sound
> providers/native-implementation these days, though most open source
> music implementations are GPL licensed, still there're a few seems
> good to use. For an example, "portaudio"[1] from Carnegie Mellon
> University is  cross-platform APIs and library implementations for
> music, under a MIT-like license, which seems compitable with APL., we
> may use this library as our native lib of sound. But we'd better send
> mail and ask them about this, do we?

    I have also some interests in this area.
    Apache has a mailing list about legal issues. Maybe we can ask the
question there. Maybe we had better first it meet our need before we
contact with the writer for the library about the license issues.
      Besides, I have a skim over its tutorial[2].
      And it says "This means that you can write a simple 'C' program
to process or generate an audio signal, and that program can run on
several different types of computer just by recompiling the source
code. "
      Does it mean that the library is just a sound driver and there
still remains the work to decode signals from sound stream file, for
example, a midi file, if I have not missed something?

[2]http://www.portaudio.com/trac/wiki/TutorialDir/TutorialStart

Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM