harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Qiu" <sean.xx....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build test] Integrate Emma into BTI 2.0 to get code coverage report
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:48:18 GMT

> On 9/13/07, Sean Qiu wrote:
> > We all know the scenario for emma is :
> > 1) instument jre
> > 2) run test within the instumented jre and generate coverage file
> > 3) collect the coverage file and generate the coverage report
> >
> > For further study of emma, i have two concerns:
> > 1. We have to maintain this task outside the adaptor, since it need to
> run
> > the (3) step after test.
> >    This cannot be achieved elegantly by a single adaptor but add a new
> > target in main script like "run-cc"
> >     Agree? Commnets?
> >
> > 2. If we donot change the existing adaptor , the coverage file will be
> > placed in the dir where test is invoked.
> >    I think we should locate them in a fixed place at least, like
> > build/results/${test_suites}.
> >    A alternative solution is put them all in a stand along dir, like
> > build/emma
> >    For both of them, we need add a new line in existing adaptor to tell
> > emma where we want to place our coverage file.
> >    Is this modification acceptable?
> >
> > If nobody object, i will start to:
> > 1) Add the emma target in main script
> > 2) Try to put coverage file into a stand along dir
> >
> > Any suggestions are welcomed.
> >

> I think that no changes to the framework or existing adaptors are
> needed. Collection of coverage files and report generation for each
> suite can by done by emma publisher (like snapshot testing does).
>
> So I'd implement emma adaptor in the way similar to the snapshot
> testing, for example:
>
> 1) emma setup target - downloads and unpacks emma
> 2) emma run target - instruments jre
>
> 3) emma adaptor depends on jre to be instrumented (it may be snapshot,
> drlvm or hdk project)
> (i.e. emma.parameters.depends=(snapshot|drlvm|hdk))
>
> 4) all suites depend on emma project.
> ( <suite>.parameters.required.tested.runtime=${
> emma.parameters.shared.instrumented.jre})

Yep, it is OK here.
But to get emma report, we need run the emma adaptor again to generate the
report.
So the sequense here is:

1) setup (emma adaptor)
    download emma
 2) run  (emma adaptor)
    instrument jre
3) run (testsuites)
    run test within instrumented jre

4) generate coverage report,  ????  (emma adaptor is suppposed to finish
this.)

Or we need to generate report manually after the running.
This violates the invoking sequence for usual adaptors.

What's more, i think emma will invoke each adaptor just like "run-cc", they
are in a higher abstraction than test suites.
So i propose to maintain them in a similar place.

--
Sean Qiu
China Software Development Lab, IBM