harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][ldap] Several development concerns about Ldap service provider
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:26:08 GMT
On 9/7/07, Spark Shen <smallsmallorgan@gmail.com> wrote:
> We had some discussions[1] with developers in Apache DS community. And find
> they have existing sharable classes.
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/shared/trunk/ldap/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/shared/ldap/
> These classes constitute 3 major features.
> 1. codec - encode/decode ldap message
> 2. filter - parsing search filters such as 'cn=*'
> 3. schema - parsing schema
> I prefer to include them into our project instead of re-implement.
> We do have problems. So far, I can see at least 2 problems:
> 1. Dependency: How should we include those code from Apache DS. Using binary
> jars as Yoko, or SVN external link as our concurrent module.
> Both of the methods will have its pro & con. Binary form will involve more
> manual efforts, while external link may potentially pollute our code base.
> 2. Code duplication: Apache DS have classes which will duplicate our code. A
> simple example is LdapDN. Shall we adapt our implementation to their code?
> Any comments?

Sharing the code is a good thing. But from the first glance common
parts are quite differ. And I have no idea how much efforts are
required for the code adaptation.

I don't details of Apache DS and Ldap service provider. So naive
approach may be to take Apache DS binaries and develop wrapper(s) to
be used by Harmony ldap service provider.

> [1]http://www.nabble.com/-OT--Is-studio-using-Sun'
> s-ldap-service-provider--t4376387.html
> --
> Spark Shen