harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][ldap] Several development concerns about Ldap service provider
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:26:08 GMT
On 9/7/07, Spark Shen <smallsmallorgan@gmail.com> wrote:
> We had some discussions[1] with developers in Apache DS community. And find
> they have existing sharable classes.
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/shared/trunk/ldap/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/shared/ldap/
>
> These classes constitute 3 major features.
> 1. codec - encode/decode ldap message
> 2. filter - parsing search filters such as 'cn=*'
> 3. schema - parsing schema
>
> I prefer to include them into our project instead of re-implement.
>
> We do have problems. So far, I can see at least 2 problems:
>
> 1. Dependency: How should we include those code from Apache DS. Using binary
> jars as Yoko, or SVN external link as our concurrent module.
> Both of the methods will have its pro & con. Binary form will involve more
> manual efforts, while external link may potentially pollute our code base.
>
> 2. Code duplication: Apache DS have classes which will duplicate our code. A
> simple example is LdapDN. Shall we adapt our implementation to their code?
> Any comments?

Sharing the code is a good thing. But from the first glance common
parts are quite differ. And I have no idea how much efforts are
required for the code adaptation.

I don't details of Apache DS and Ldap service provider. So naive
approach may be to take Apache DS binaries and develop wrapper(s) to
be used by Harmony ldap service provider.

Thanks,
Stepan.