harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Roland Getty" <roland.ge...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Harmony java.util.jar support for pack-200?
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2007 10:57:31 GMT
Hi Sian,

I've really just started on this and at the moment I'm looking at trying to
> get unpack to work for some simple cases.  I will be focussing on unpack
> first and possibly pack after that.  Any help would be great - is there
> any
> specific area that you would like to work in?
>
> Time-wise it's looking like several months work to get unpack finished, as
> Tim suggested.

Yes getting unpack to work before starting with pack seems the way to go. I
just did some more reading about pack200 specifications. It seems to be
really complicated - much more then I initially expected. Is Harmony really
trying to do the first clean room implementation of pack200 in 100% Java? It
seems there are so many other JDKs from Classpath, IBM, Bea, Apple, etc. Do
they all build on Suns JDK? Or could one ask for code donations for this
specific part of Harmony before going to the hassle of implementing pack200
from scratch.