harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [website] Google analytics
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:47:50 GMT
I've used it for both my personal site and it's also used for
EclipseZone. Can be quite useful, especially seeing historical and
spikes in trends (e.g. does it go up because a new version of Harmony
is packaged with Eclipse?).

It involves putting some 'pingback' JavaScript code on the website;
there may be some people morally opposed to doing that, or to going to
a site that has it. I suspect Google may be more trusted than other
sites, but there may also be people who dislike any kind of site
tracking (but then, they'll use NoScript, right?)

Does Apache (generally) have policies in this place regarding such
tracking or advertising in Apache pages that might come into play?

> I see that a number of other projects are using Google Analytics to
> measure the effectiveness of their website layout (e.g., can people find
> the info they need?) and popularity of pages and downloads (e.g., are
> the most popular pages prominent?).
> The details of how it works are here [1], but in essence it is a piece
> of tracking javascript we install in our web pages.
> Seeing the results would require a Google account, and I suggest we
> limit access to the data to ASF committers, since they are also the only
> ones that can see the website logs on the server machine.
> WDYT? Would it be useful to our website gurus?
> [1] http://www.google.com/analytics/
> Regards,
> Tim

View raw message