harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Harmony java.util.jar support for pack-200?
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2007 12:10:53 GMT
On 09/09/2007, Roland Getty <roland.getty@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sian,
>
> Yes getting unpack to work before starting with pack seems the way to go. I
> just did some more reading about pack200 specifications. It seems to be
> really complicated - much more then I initially expected. Is Harmony really
> trying to do the first clean room implementation of pack200 in 100% Java?

It doesn't matter whether it's 100% in Java or not from an
implementation perspective; there's no open-source implementations of
native form either, at least in an AL compatible form.

> It seems there are so many other JDKs from Classpath, IBM, Bea, Apple, etc. Do
> they all build on Suns JDK? Or could one ask for code donations for this
> specific part of Harmony before going to the hassle of implementing pack200
> from scratch.

No, they aren't licensed to do that. They license the JDK from Sun
directly, and it's almost certainly non-transferrable; and even if it
were, they wouldn't be able to unilaterally change the license to an
AL one, since they're not owners of it. Besides which, if they were,
don't you think the job of Harmony would be actually needed?

Anyway, there's a lot of the (un)pack200 stuff already there. The fact
that it can't yet extract everything doesn't mean it can extract
nothing; in fact, I've already demonstrated that it's capable of
extracting empty interfaces from packed files, which uses a lot of the
basis. It's by no means finished, but the task is neither impossible
nor out of reach.

I did a bunch of stuff in the past, and whilst I've not had much time
over the last six months to do anything on it, I am happy to try and
help out those who want to take over. I may even have some time
towards helping out again, although given my recent involvement I
wouldn't take that as a given ;-)

Feel free to ask specific questions about the implementation here, and
I'll do my best top help out.

Alex.