harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Blewitt" <alex.blew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Harmony java.util.jar support for pack-200?
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 22:07:49 GMT
> Roland Getty wrote:
> > I just checked the latest release of Harmony and also the latest SVN. The
> > support for pack200 seems still very incomplete. The actual "packing" seem
> > not implemented yet at all, the "unpacking" doesn't work yet.
>
> That's right.  We figured that unpacking existing archives would be the
> logical first step, but it is early 'work in progress' at this stage,
> and the spec takes a while to understand.
>
> > I would like to get in touch with the people involved implementing this part
> > of Harmony to find out if I could help.
>
> Great.  The work was started by Alex, and Sian has recently picked up
> the baton and is continuing the work.  I'm sure your help will be very
> much appreciated.

Yeah, I dropped the ball somewhat in that I had a bunch of other
things and never really had time to pick this up. I hope Sian will be
able to make a bit of progress on it, and I'm happy to help out with
the understanding where I can.

> >    2. Will Harmony's pack200 support be implemented in 100% Java or are
> >    native method calls via JNI necessary?
>
> The idea is to write it all in Java.

Yeah, there's no real need for any JNI code, and in any case, there's
not an open binary implementation either.

> >    3. Do you know of an alternative 100% Java implementation of pack200?
>
> I hear that Sun may have one ;-)  but beyond that I don't know of any.

No, I don't believe there are any. I was approached by Classlib to
share the implementation when I first started so they didn't have one
at the time, and in a few e-mails I sent back to the spec leads
clarifying the spec, I was given the impression that there wasn't many
competing implementations.

Alex.