harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject [drlvm]Leave classunloading on by default?
Date Sun, 23 Sep 2007 21:11:48 GMT
Hi,
  Harmony DRLVM has recently added a class unloading feature. It's now
ready for trial and regular use. It's not on by default, and to turn
on the feature, a couple of options are needed:
 -XX:gc.ignore_vtable_tracing=false  -XX:gc.force_major_collect=true

 For the hotspot jvm, it's on by default, and one can choose to switch
it off with -Xnoclassgc( benchmarking runs do this ). However, the CU
design in DRLVM is different from the RI. GC tries to unload classes
only when there is heap pressure which has initiated a full
collection. The second option above forces this to happen for every
collection, and is only useful for testing the class unloading code
deterministically. It's not directly related to CU.
  For the gc to do vtable tracing to identify unloadable classes in
every gc cycle is too expensive. But keeping class unloading turned
off  means that our regular testing does not test these code paths.
With SPecJBB ( 32 bit ) eg., turning on the feature shows me no
variation in performance ( ~1% which is noise ). So, we could make a
decision to turn on the first option by default. In this case, if we
encountered scenarios that really need CU to happen, it would unload
classes. What do you think?
  BTW, I have been unable to find a scenario that stresses the gc
heap, and needs to unload unused classes, and it would be good find
such  test cases.

Thanks,
Rana