harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Spark Shen" <smallsmallor...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][ldap] Several development concerns about Ldap service provider
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 02:13:48 GMT
We had some discussions[1] with developers in Apache DS community. And find
they have existing sharable classes.

These classes constitute 3 major features.
1. codec - encode/decode ldap message
2. filter - parsing search filters such as 'cn=*'
3. schema - parsing schema

I prefer to include them into our project instead of re-implement.

We do have problems. So far, I can see at least 2 problems:

1. Dependency: How should we include those code from Apache DS. Using binary
jars as Yoko, or SVN external link as our concurrent module.
Both of the methods will have its pro & con. Binary form will involve more
manual efforts, while external link may potentially pollute our code base.

2. Code duplication: Apache DS have classes which will duplicate our code. A
simple example is LdapDN. Shall we adapt our implementation to their code?
Any comments?

Spark Shen
China Software Development Lab, IBM