harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Spark Shen" <smallsmallor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][test] Bring ApacheDS into harmony test framework
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 07:39:53 GMT

> On 9/5/07, Regis <xu.regis@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm working on jndi ldap service provider now, a embedded ldap server is
> > required for testing. So i purpose to bring
> > ApacheDS(http://directory.apache.org/) to our dependency, which is an
> > embeddable directory server entirely written in Java, and has been
> > certified LDAPv3 compatible by the Open Group.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid if we go this way then classlibrary testing will be
> complicated.
> Is it possible to test jndi service provider against lightweight-stub
> server implementation and develop full testing scenario for BTI?

After some thought, I have some concern about put Apache DS server into BTI.
Correctly If I am wrong.

1. Our ldap provider related test cases will be splitted into 2 parts
according to my propose. One part for testing connection. One part for test
other standalone functions such as encoding/decoding. Others whom are not
familiar with ldap would mistakenly thought we lacks of some test cases if
they only look at class library trunk.

2. We have precedents such as derby and jetty. The only difference is that
their jars are smaller than ours.

3. Sending a single LDAP request such as bind is too simple to be viewed as
a scenario.  Just as those test cases utilizing jetty or derby. I think
that's why they are not placed into BIT either.

I hope it's not the size of Apache DS jars that complicate our test cases
:-)

I have an eclectic solution. We put DS jars into BIT, while writing all the
ldap test cases in one place - class library trunk. Those test cases need
server support will be listed in exclude list. Only when executing scenario
test, will these test cases be downloaded to BIT.

Thanks,

--
Spark Shen
China Software Development Lab, IBM