harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] [pack200] Using BCEL for Pack200
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:51:43 GMT
Sian January wrote:
> I would like to use BCEL in pack200 to re-create class files from the data
> obtained from the pack200 archive.  BCEL is able to create class files in
> the correct format and provides a higher-level interface that we would use
> instead of creating the class files directly.  This would mean that we would
> not need to duplicate this effort in pack200 and so there would be less
> scope for creating bugs in this area.  I know that BCEL is already a Harmony
> dependency and it's an Apache project so I can't see there being a licence
> issue, but just wondered if anyone has any other objections?

There is no problem with using BCEL as you say.  At the moment it is a
dependency of the DRLVM and you will need to move it to be a dependency
of the classlib code, and then DRLVM can inherit this dependency I believe.

> If not, could anyone suggest what would be the best way to add the BCEL jar
> file as a dependency to the pack200 project, given that it's already in
> Harmony?

Take a look at the classlib tree's make/depends.xml and
make/depends.properties to see how they are handled there for other
modules.  These classlib dependencies are managed 'globally' (i.e. not
per module).

Regards,
Tim