harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [pack200] Merge code back into archive?
Date Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:54:19 GMT
Alex Blewitt wrote:
> I sent a while arguing for the pack200 code to be a separate bundle,
> and therefore set up with its own source trees in the archive module.
> The plan was that the pack200 bundle could be used in other OSGi
> engines on its own outside of Harmony.
>
> The plan didn't work out quite as expected in that it took longer to
> get going than planned, and since Java 1.4 is nearing EOL it probably
> doesn't make sense for the pack200 to be available as an OSGi bundle
> in its own right. In any case, I ended up letting the implementation
> slide and now it's been taken over by others.
>
> So it might be a good time to consider folding it back into the main
> archive source folders/locations. Sound like a good idea?

I will let those who have taken over it's implementation make the
decision, but (always being one to express an opinion <g>) I see no harm
in it continuing as a separate module while the functionality is
completed.  It would be trivial to make it 1.4 compatible, roll it into
ARCHIVE, or make it a fragment bundle later.

Regards,
Tim