harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Redistributing bouncy castle providers
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:26:27 GMT
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
>> There is a discussion over at the incubator general mailing list (e.g.
>> [1]), amongst other places, about the redistribution of BouncyCastle
>> code from ASF machines.
>>
>> The crux is that we can't redistribute BC's IDEA implementation as it is
>> subject to a known patent for which we don't have a grant/license.
>>
>> We'll have to change our current practice of publishing binaries that
>> include BC unmodified.  The resolution seems to be maintaining a local
>> copy of the BC JAR without the offending algorithm.  I expect we would
>> have to unsign the JAR too when modified.
>>
>> Do we have any dependencies upon IDEA?  I see some references in the
>> JSSE cipher suite code,
>
> Reference to IDEA?

just grepping:

modules/x-net/src/main/java/org/apache/harmony/xnet/provider/jsse/CipherSuite.java
107:    static byte[] code_TLS_RSA_WITH_IDEA_CBC_SHA = { 0x00, 0x07 };
157:    static CipherSuite TLS_RSA_WITH_IDEA_CBC_SHA = new CipherSuite(
158:            "TLS_RSA_WITH_IDEA_CBC_SHA", false, KeyExchange_RSA,
"IDEA_CBC",
159:            "SHA", code_TLS_RSA_WITH_IDEA_CBC_SHA);
256:            TLS_RSA_WITH_IDEA_CBC_SHA,
417:        } else if ("IDEA_CBC".equals(cipherName)) {
418:            this.cipherName = "IDEA/CBC/NoPadding";

Regards,
Tim