harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib] Redistributing bouncy castle providers
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:06:58 GMT
There is a discussion over at the incubator general mailing list (e.g.
[1]), amongst other places, about the redistribution of BouncyCastle
code from ASF machines.

The crux is that we can't redistribute BC's IDEA implementation as it is
subject to a known patent for which we don't have a grant/license.

We'll have to change our current practice of publishing binaries that
include BC unmodified.  The resolution seems to be maintaining a local
copy of the BC JAR without the offending algorithm.  I expect we would
have to unsign the JAR too when modified.

Do we have any dependencies upon IDEA?  I see some references in the
JSSE cipher suite code, but likely we don't attempt use it if we don't
have it.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200709.mbox/%3c46EC8EFF.3030201@rowe-clan.net%3e

Regards,