harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [website] Google analytics
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 22:15:33 GMT
Alex Blewitt wrote:
> I've used it for both my personal site and it's also used for
> EclipseZone. Can be quite useful, especially seeing historical and
> spikes in trends (e.g. does it go up because a new version of Harmony
> is packaged with Eclipse?).

Yep, I was also thinking of the discussions that have taken place here
amongst the website folk about trying different designs, and figuring
out how to best layout the site.  Hopefully it would help them with some
concrete data.

> It involves putting some 'pingback' JavaScript code on the website;
> there may be some people morally opposed to doing that, or to going to
> a site that has it. I suspect Google may be more trusted than other
> sites, but there may also be people who dislike any kind of site
> tracking (but then, they'll use NoScript, right?)

Yep, I have to admit I have a slight unease about 'secretly' tracking
people browsing a website, but I guess it is no different to the data
that is already being collected in the weblogs.

> Does Apache (generally) have policies in this place regarding such
> tracking or advertising in Apache pages that might come into play?

The option of tracking seems to be left to the discretion of the project
themselves.  It has been discussed on a couple of lists, and a number of
well established ASF projects are using it.  I don't think there is a
formal policy.

Advertising is different, and there is a stronger opinion about any form
of advertising or kick-backs to project supporters (e.g. displaying a
logo in return for a license).  I'm not advocating that we get into that
game here.

Regards,
Tim