harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] M3 schedule
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:30:21 GMT
Hi Stepan, thanks for bringing this up again.

Stepan Mishura wrote:
> OK, at least nobody suggested that we have longer then 3-month
> schedule. That means that we should have next milestone no later then
> September, 30.

Agreed, let's shoot for the end of the month for M3.

> So I'd like to remind that we are close to the mid of September and
> propose the following M3 schedule:
> - Septemer 15: feature freeze - svn trunk is frozen
> I think this time it makes sense to freeze the trunk instead of
> branching to avoid doing merges for bugfixes

Yep, so no new areas of significant functionality should be introduced
after Sept 15th; but we can continue to do bug/perf/tidy-up type changes
during this period.

> - Septemer 22: code freeze - M3 branch(tag?) is created and the trunk
> is unfrozen. All fixes for M3 go to the branch.

So what are you proposing gets branched? everything (and only those
things) that contributes to the federated build? e.g. drlvm, classlib,
and jdktools.  I assume that the BTI code is not branched too?

Can BTI and other scripts cope ok with switching to the code on a branch
rather than dealing with HEAD?

Once the M3 branch is created then I assume that the HEAD is opened once
again for code and feature changes, but changes to the stable M3 branch
require our established `review then commit` style.

> - Septemer 29 :release date - M3-branch is merged with the trunk.

Though there is no reason why we would not merge the M3 branch into HEAD
during the M3-shut-down period either, right?  At the end of Sept we do
the final merge, then delete the M3 branch.

> Objections?

No, I'm keen that we get another stable build published.

Regards,
Tim