harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Regis <xu.re...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][ldap] Several development concerns about Ldap service provider
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:09:55 GMT

Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 9/7/07, Spark Shen <smallsmallorgan@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We had some discussions[1] with developers in Apache DS community. And find
>> they have existing sharable classes.
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/shared/trunk/ldap/src/main/java/org/apache/directory/shared/ldap/
>> These classes constitute 3 major features.
>> 1. codec - encode/decode ldap message
>> 2. filter - parsing search filters such as 'cn=*'
>> 3. schema - parsing schema
>> I prefer to include them into our project instead of re-implement.
>> We do have problems. So far, I can see at least 2 problems:
>> 1. Dependency: How should we include those code from Apache DS. Using binary
>> jars as Yoko, or SVN external link as our concurrent module.
>> Both of the methods will have its pro & con. Binary form will involve more
>> manual efforts, while external link may potentially pollute our code base.
>> 2. Code duplication: Apache DS have classes which will duplicate our code. A
>> simple example is LdapDN. Shall we adapt our implementation to their code?
>> Any comments?
> Sharing the code is a good thing. But from the first glance common
> parts are quite differ. And I have no idea how much efforts are
> required for the code adaptation.
the main duplicate parts is from org.apache.harmony.jndi.internal.parser
package, which support to implement javax.naming.ldap.LdapName,
javax.naming.ldap.Rdn and a name parser for ldap, they are relative
independent and rarely used by other code, so i think there is not much
work for code adaptation.

Best regards,

> I don't details of Apache DS and Ldap service provider. So naive
> approach may be to take Apache DS binaries and develop wrapper(s) to
> be used by Harmony ldap service provider.
> Thanks,
> Stepan.
>> [1]http://www.nabble.com/-OT--Is-studio-using-Sun'
>> s-ldap-service-provider--t4376387.html