harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Harmony java.util.jar support for pack-200?
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 21:12:02 GMT
Roland Getty wrote:
> I just checked the latest release of Harmony and also the latest SVN. The
> support for pack200 seems still very incomplete. The actual "packing" seem
> not implemented yet at all, the "unpacking" doesn't work yet.

That's right.  We figured that unpacking existing archives would be the
logical first step, but it is early 'work in progress' at this stage,
and the spec takes a while to understand.

> I would like to get in touch with the people involved implementing this part
> of Harmony to find out if I could help.

Great.  The work was started by Alex, and Sian has recently picked up
the baton and is continuing the work.  I'm sure your help will be very
much appreciated.

>    1. Is there any time estimate when pack200 support (unpacking or
>    packing) will be fully implemented?

At this point I think people are still getting their heads around what
is required, but I would estimate a couple of months to get unpack
working well enough to use.

>    2. Will Harmony's pack200 support be implemented in 100% Java or are
>    native method calls via JNI necessary?

The idea is to write it all in Java.

>    3. Do you know of an alternative 100% Java implementation of pack200?

I hear that Sun may have one ;-)  but beyond that I don't know of any.

Regards,
Tim