harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] DRLVM should accept Java6 classes now
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:08:01 GMT
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 9/4/07, Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> As of revision 572698 DRLVM should not throw UnsupportedClassVersion
>> when it sees a class file compiled with Java6 compiler (or with -target
>> 1.6 by ECJ 3.3). These class files should work with no problems with DRLVM.
>>

> Sould we create a java6 branch for DRL VM (as we did for classlib) and
> move your update to the branch?

I don't think this deserves a real branch. The fact that VM accepts
classes of version 50 doesn't mean it is Java6 compliant. It also
doesn't make it non-Java5 VM in any way.

On the other hand, if we make changes like in [1] it may break
compatibility with older Java5 code, and in such case we'll maybe want
to create a separate branch.

[1]
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/reflection/enhancements.html

--