Andrey, I don't think that it ignores -- I know it honors them with some exceptions. I talked about attributes special case for tag. Try this code: not bold In Harmony it would be rendered with bold font despite this style rule. Additionally, also not bold would be rendered in normal font weight, *not bold*, in all the browsers whereas both Harmony and RI would render it bold. That's what I talked about. 2007/8/22, Pavlenko, Andrey A : > I think the best solution would be to merge the default CSS with user's > CSS. > > Alexey, why do you think Harmony ignores the style attribute of HTML > elements? I've just created a simple test and it works fine for me: > > import javax.swing.JEditorPane; > import javax.swing.JFrame; > > public class SwingTest { > > public static void main(String[] args) { > JFrame f = new JFrame(); > f.add(new JEditorPane("text/html", > "
Hello > world!
")); > f.pack(); > f.setVisible(true); > } > } > > -----Original Message----- > From: Alexey Ivanov [mailto:alxey.ivanov@gmail.com] > Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 11:29 AM > To: dev@harmony.apache.org > Subject: Re: [classlib][swing][html] CSS is used to specify HTML tag > behavior > > Vasily, > > Yes, I agree with your considerations too. > > I guess we should create a mechanism to add another base.css that > cannot be removed. I pointed to > javax.swing.text.html.HTMLDocument.initDefaultCharacterAttributes > which serves as such mechanism currently. We should find a better > approach here because user should be able to override the defaults > specified there as well. At least browsers allow this but neither > Harmony nor RI does. Harmony is even worse since it ignores the style > specified the style attribute on HTML element. However, I don't think > there are many users who'd want to change that but it's a nice feature > to have, so that Harmony behaves closer to HTML browsers and thus > provides better HTML support than RI does. > > Regards, > Alexey. > > P.S. I knew all browser provided the feature to user style sheet but > had never tried it. Additionally this feature is quite hidden in > options dialog boxes. > > 2007/8/22, Zakharov, Vasily M : > > Alexey, > > > > Thank you for your attention to this issue. I'm not sure it's a bug > that > > needs to be fixed (RI does the same, right), but I think it's an > > important issue that worth keeping record of. > > > > I fully agree with all your considerations about using default > > stylesheet for specyfying default document look. But there's look > > (fonts, colors, sizes, weight, margins, padding etc.) and there's the > > specified element behavior. For example,
tag is expected to > > center text by default - and in our implementation (and in RI) it > > doesn't. It seems strange, uncomfortable and confusing to me, and > > probably to the users who would like to replace the default stylesheet > > with their own. Making a user write "center { text-align: center}" in > > his stylesheet is strange indeed. And by the way, IE allows replacing > > the default stylesheet easily, and
tag works normally after > > that. > > > > I'm not suggesting to remove the replace default stylesheet feature, > and > > I'm not suggesting to merge the existing default stylesheet with > user's > > one. I'm only suggesting to make some (not all) default stylesheet > > declarations (specifying core elements behavior) actual even if > default > > stylesheet is removed. > > > > Particularly, I would expect behaving the same as and > > > the same as , and
tag actually centering the text. Sure, I > > don't care about font sizes, margins etc. > > > > Vasily > > > > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Alexey Ivanov [mailto:alxey.ivanov@gmail.com] > > Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:38 AM > > To: dev@harmony.apache.org > > Subject: [classlib][swing][html] CSS is used to specify HTML tag > > behavior > > > > Hello everyone, > > > > There was created JIRA issue HARMONY-4662 [1], which says that > > specifying the default presentation of HTML tags using CSS. I believe > > this issue should be discussed here. > > > > In short, Harmony implementation of HTML support has default.css file > > which describes the default presentation of HTML elements. This > > implementation is similar to that of RI. On the other hand, programmer > > can remove (or disable) this style sheet. It leads to the situation > > where almost all tags look like a plain text. > > > > In my opinion, using CSS in this situation is the right thing to do. > > 1) We can easily make adjustments to the way HTML document looks by > > default. > > 2) It gives application developers freedom for their application. > > Developer can create their own default style sheet and easily replace > > the default one shipped with Harmony. Replacing is more effective than > > just overriding because Harmony-provided style sheet will be excluded > > from style resolution chain, which, in its turn, will free memory and > > will save time. > > 3) I believe all modern browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera) > > use the similar methods to specify the default look of HTML. The only > > difference is that you cannot remove their default style sheet so > > easily as in Swing. > > > > Other opinions, comments? > > > > Regards, > > Alexey. > > > > > > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-4662 > > > > Other links of interest: > > Sample style sheet suggested by W3C: > > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/sample.html > > Index of HTML 4.01 elements: > > http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/index/elements.html > > >