harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <sal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [packaging] binary Gentoo/x86 ebuild for M2 snapshot
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:22:23 GMT
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>> the wiki page with instructions
>> and ebuild files.
>>
>>     http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/GentooEbuilds
>>
>> I agree that it would be a good idea to add a 'packaged distributions'
>> link to the site,
>> and don't forget to link the .deb files produced by Mark
>
> I might have missed it. Are they already available somewhere?

http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/debian/

Look the mailing list archives for subject '[packaging] Debian packaging' [3]

> There are two different binaries on the site, JDK and HDK.

Indeed.
Somehow I managed not to see it on the first glance.
Thanks for getting me straight.

> I thought of a different versioning scheme. A date could be used as a
> postfix of the version, e.g. 0.0.20070832, or the date of the M2 milestone.
> For example some gcc ebuilds use date when a CVS snapshot is used instead of
> an official release.

That's possible, indeed. But I tend to think that officially releasing
properly versioned packages would be better. The more officially-looking
ebuild naming would be, the more potential users will be inclined to try it out.

By the way, I think it would be good to notify Gentoo-Java team [2]
when we'll have working source builds.

> BTW I didn't find an official document for the ebuild file name format. Do
> you know if one exist?

I based my reasoning on Ebuild HOWTO [1]. According to the rules,
'-M2' suffix will be parsed as part of the name, rather than version.
Using M2 as suffix to some number (e.g. 0.1M2) is also not allowed
(only single-letter suffixes are allowed).

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap2
[2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/index.xml
[3] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@harmony.apache.org/msg09232.html