harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Defining M3
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:47:36 GMT
On 8/27/07, Tim Ellison wrote:
> We've had some discussion, I think it is time to agree on whether we are
> going to shoot for a M3 release soon or let things ride for a while longer.
>
> I hope I've made my view clear, that we should be addressing the known
> test failures and exercising the additional tests to check that the
> tremendous work that has taken place since M2 continues to enhance our
> capabilities, scalability, and stability.
>
> Thoughts?
> Tim

Tim,

Yes, we should have M3 for sure and we should have fixed/predictable
milestone schedule.

In case of 2 month schedule there are 6 milestones per year. But I'm
afraid we will have in every second milestone situation when many
folks won't be able participate in a milestone development/testing for
1 week or more due to different reasons. I think it is quite
noticeable time in 2 month period (taking into accont 2 weeks of code
freeze). IMHO this affect folks performance and releases quality.
Because we need to run a lot of tests and have communication between
many experts in different areas to release high-quality milestone
builds.

Say from my experience, I worked for a week after M2 and then went to
vacations till the beginning of August. When I returned back to the
office I had only few days to sort things out before code freeze.

>From my POV such milestones are:
* January-February: many holidays in different countries.
* July-August: time for summer vacations.
* November-December: not good to have milestone at December 3. I would
move it to December 15.

I think that 3 month schedule fits better for Harmony.

Thanks,
Stepan.