harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] [Asn.1 Framework] where is the source code..
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:22:02 GMT
On 8/22/07, fatih batuk <fatih_batuk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Again thanks for the answer..
> I looked more closer to the Asn.1 framework and I realized that it does not include the
"text parser" part.

Hi Fatih,

There is no "parser text'" that reads ASN.1 notation in the ASN.1
framework. I think it would be nice to have it developed - that would
make easier to implement protocols based on ASN.1

> I want to generate .java classes of types which are defined in my asn.1 protocol(which
is a text file).
> Then I want to make encode and decode operations by use of instances of these .java classes.

Sounds good.

>  (In the asn.1 documantation, decode and encode operations over instances is described
: I wrote a small .java class by
> hand and I encoded istance of this class and then decoded again. And it
> is worked.)

Please let us know if the documentation should be improved.

> I - Does the text parser part exist ? (Maybe I coluld not find..) (Maybe such a parser
exists at some other place in the web, but I could not find..)

> II -I am planning to write my own parser which will read the asn.1 protocol and genarate
.java classes from the asn.1 input file. And the generated .java classes will use Apache's
Asn.1 Framework to make "encode and decode operations." And I am planning to do this by use
of  java.io package.
> I know there are some parser generators like "Javacc(java compiler compiler) or SableCC",
but I am not sure to start learning and using such a compiler compiler.
> Can you give me some idea or some help about this issue ?

I'm not guru in parser generators so I don't know how much "Javacc
studying" will help you in developing your own ASN.1 parser. The ASN.1
is used for quite long time and I think that there should be a number
of existing parsers for ASN.1 (it may be worth to find and try them
first).

Thanks,
Stepan.