harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <firep...@gmail.com>
Subject [classlib][sound]Harmony lacks sound.properties and real providers
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:08:55 GMT
Hi All,

    Though sound module has 100% API coverage [1], a simple test on
sound module shows that it lacks some real providers[2]. What's more,
Harmony need a sound.properties file under jdk/jre/lib according to
java doc [3].
    It seems Harmony does not have a sound provider yet  (please
correct me if I miss something). So we have two ways to go:
    1. code a provider for Harmony, it may be more than 300K in binary
size according to RI's implementation, so a lot of work to do :)
    2. find a sound provider from other open source project. I googled
open source sound provider, and find some of them. On the top of
search result is a project named Tritonus[4],  though it does not
update since 2003, it is said "Tritonus is an implementation of the
Java Sound API" and has a full build for downloading, sounds perfectly
meet our requirement (but I did not test it yet), however it is GPL
licensed. Some other project, like JLayer/MP3SPI[5] does not support
Midi at all which is required, and also LGPL licensed. If we want to
use these providers, we can not re-distribute them with
Harmony(according to GPL and APL) but ask users to download them
theirslves.

     Any suggestions on this? Or do someone know some APL or
APL-compatible open source java sound provider? Thanks!

[1] http://www.kaffe.org/~stuart/japi/htmlout/h-jdk15-harmony5.html
[2] a small test try to play a midi will cause an Error as follows
while RI plays well:
java.lang.Error: There is no MidiFileReaderProviders on your system!!!
	at javax.sound.midi.MidiSystem.getSequence(MidiSystem.java:315)
	at testdecl.PlayMidi.<init>(PlayMidi.java:39)
	at testdecl.PlayMidi.main(PlayMidi.java:81)
[3] file:///C:/Spec/docs/api/javax/sound/midi/MidiMessage.html
[4] http://tritonus.org/
[5] http://www.javazoom.net/projects.html
--

Best Regards!