harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Defining M3
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:27:45 GMT
Rana Dasgupta wrote:
>> We've had some discussion, I think it is time to agree on whether we are
>> going to shoot for a M3 release soon or let things ride for a while longer.
>
> We should shoot for an M3 release sometime soon. Whether that means
> freezing new feature code immediately and focussing on bugs, or
> continuing till around mid September before freezing, depends on who
> is doing what, and how the unfinished work impacts stability.

Given the lack of participants in the discussion it would appear that
people are away, or don't really mind what happens, or something.

At the risk of repeating myself, I think it is important to have regular
and predictable milestones available; enabling those people who to
consume Harmony to be able to plan on taking future stable builds.

It's also important for us to be able to deliver the code as a coherent
set of functionality.

> Some of
> the features that I know of, in development currently in DRLVM are
> concurrent GC, a lot of thread restructuring, class unloading support
> and a bunch of JIT changes. For class unloading, a little more time
> would be great. So I would vote for the later date.

There is always going to be work in progress, we have to learn to
schedule it around the agreed stability points.  If it isn't delivered
it doesn't count <g>.

An alternative alternative is to split the GC / JIT / classlib / VM /
tools etc into separate deliverables and we assemble milestones from the
last stable build from each 'subproject'.  But I don't want to go in
that direction, I hope we can continue to co-ordinate the development as
one big project.

Let's make good the code that we have in the mainline builds before
starting another lengthy piece of work.

Regards,
Tim