harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] M3 milestone discussion
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:46:51 GMT
Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> Tim, here is the description of my problems with 2-mo schedule:
> Usually I spent a half of my time to work on bugs or testing, reviewing and
> committing various JIT patches. Another
> half of my time I'm trying to develop new features.

...and it is all very much appreciated!  I promise I'm not trying to
make life difficult, but ensure we are all working as efficiently as
possible while maintaining the integrity of everyone's combined efforts.

> Writing code for new
> features is not an issue: but performance and regression
> testing consumes most of the time.
> When I'm limited by a short time period and I want new feature to be
> included to the next release I need to hurry and as a result I reduce the
> time for testing and documentation.
> For example in M2 milestone we were not able to turn "lazy resolution"
> feature on because we didn't have enough time to test it. We turned it on in
> the first week after codebase was unfrozen.

There will always be the problem of 'no time left in this milestone' no
matter how long we make it of course; if we make it too long we may get
numerous big changes introduced then have to spend an incredibly long
time stabilizing.

So if we think of it this way, assuming we don't want to increase the
current freeze duration before a milestone, how much open development
could we expect to stabilize and test for performance/regression etc in
that time?

> I agree with Salikh and others who says that we need stable schedule.
> But what is the reason for official milestones that are so frequent that
> have no differences from each other?

I hope that is a joke?!  Doing a svn diff from M2 shows that in classlib
and drlvm there were ~1100 files changed (not to mention the Java 6
branch, BTI, jdktools, etc, etc) and ~320 JIRAs resolved -- I don't
think there is much danger of having no differences between two month
interval milestones.

Regards,
Tim