harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [packaging] binary Gentoo/x86 ebuild for M2 snapshot
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:41:15 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Gregory Shimansky wrote:
>>> I remembered a better place, wiki. So I created the wiki page with
>>> instructions
>>> and attached the ebuild files to it.
>>>
>>>     http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/GentooEbuilds
>>>
>>> I agree that it would be a good idea to add a 'packaged distributions'
>>> link to the site,
>>> and don't forget to link the .deb files produced by Mark
>>
>> I might have missed it. Are they already available somewhere?
>>
>>> Yes, I think so. Is it possible to create a ebuild for JDK as well?
>>>
>>> I guess so, using the HDK download for it.
>>
>> There are two different binaries on the site, JDK and HDK.

>>> I think that will be misleading, as M2 is a version related to the Harmony
>>> project,
>>> rather than the ebuild version.
>>>
>> I thought of a different versioning scheme. A date could be used as a
>> postfix of the version, e.g. 0.0.20070832, or the date of the M2 milestone.
>> For example some gcc ebuilds use date when a CVS snapshot is used instead of
>> an official release.
>
> How about the SVN revision number, which for M2 is 551077 ?

These are usually used in *-svn and *-cvs builds for packages like
emacs-cvs that are meant to be using a svn/cvs revision from the
repository. Other packages in gentoo that use snapshots (be in a built
binary or packed source tree) from the web, not from svn/cvs repository
are usually using the date as the marker.

--
Gregory