harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] M3 milestone discussion
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:37:43 GMT
Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> Basing on M2 experience I think 2-mo is a too short for Harmony:
> 25% of the whole time we would have our workspace somehow frozen.
> And we couldn't shorten freeze time since we have long running
> suites and scenarios.

That's not my memory, looking back in the list you froze the code on 24
June, and unfroze it on 30 June.  We need that length of time to run
tests and check stability as you mention, but it was more like 10% which
I think is reasonable given our current state.

> IMHO it negatively affects progress of the project.
> So I'm +1 for having fixed schedule, but 2-mo schedule does not leave
> enough time for normal development

Can you explain what you mean here?  I see lots of 'normal development'
taking place, with hundreds of commits in each milestone.  For sure,
there is a balance between getting work done and ensuring that we don't
go too long without a stability check.  Can you describe any piece of
work that has been negatively affected?

Regards,
Tim