harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Pavel Ozhdikhin" <pavel.ozhdik...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Defining M3
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:34:05 GMT

> > We've had some discussion, I think it is time to agree on whether we are
> > going to shoot for a M3 release soon or let things ride for a while
> longer.
> >

> We should shoot for an M3 release sometime soon. Whether that means
> freezing new feature code immediately and focussing on bugs, or
> continuing till around mid September before freezing, depends on who
> is doing what, and how the unfinished work impacts stability. Some of
> the features that I know of, in development currently in DRLVM are
> concurrent GC, a lot of thread restructuring, class unloading support
> and a bunch of JIT changes. For class unloading, a little more time
> would be great. So I would vote for the later date.
>
> Thanks,
> Rana

In the JIT a bytecode-based edge profile will be complete in about a week
and then we may enable lazy resolution in DRLVM in all modes - this will add
stability on large applications. I would support
having the feature freeze in 2 weeks to finish this one and the VM features
Rana listed above (threading redesign and class unloading).

Thanks,
Pavel